Senior Backend Engineer
Sketchy is a revolutionary visual learning platform. We turn complex subjects into engaging visual stories that you’ll remember forever. Through a combination of art, science, and technology, our lessons help students effortlessly learn and recall information and score higher on exams.
Sketchy is used by students at every medical school in America.
90% of Sketchy medical students report higher test scores.
94% of users say studying with Sketchy saves time.
78% of users say Sketchy improves their recall speed.
300,000 students are now doctors thanks to Sketchy.
Sketchy was founded in 2013 when four medical students began creating sketched stories to help them memorize complicated viruses. Since then, Sketchy has applied the same visual learning techniques to a variety of subjects, and become a premier learning destination for students around the world.
Sketchy is a TCG (The Chernin Group) portfolio company (alongside notable brands like Headspace, Food52, Barstool Sports, and Crunchyroll) and a Reach Capital portfolio company (joining other start-ups that bring a playfulness to learning).
About the Role:
We’re looking for a Senior Backend Engineer to solve technical challenges across our platform and stack. You will work to enhance our existing platform, while helping to build out our next set of capabilities to push the boundaries of student learning. If you care deeply about how software systems work, how to power delightful experiences on the front-end and building systems for longevity and resilience, this work is for you.
Working together with the rest of our engineering team you’ll be building the most innovative education product available to students today.
Working at Sketchy
We are headquartered in Los Angeles but have teammates that collaborate remotely from cities across the United States. As travel and working conditions return back to “normal”, we will find opportunities to increasingly meet and collaborate in person. While you will always have a seat to work from at our Los Angeles HQ, our transition to a remote-first company will allow you to work from the location of your choice in select states across the country.
Location: This role is open to remote employees in select US states: California, Colorado, Hawaii, Illinois, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Texas, Washington, and Washington, D.C.
What You’ll Do:
- You will work with fellow Sketchy engineers, product designs and product managers to design, review, and build well-crafted software.
- You will work in an agile and iterative process to efficiently ship new features that meet student and school needs.
- You will implement new tools and practices that make the team more effective.
- You will improve the overall engineering quality through documentation, technical guidance and mentoring, and establishing and upholding best practices for the team.
- You will participate in an on-call rotation to support production systems and investigate issues when they occur.
- You will take part in hiring activities (e.g., submitting referrals, conducting interviews, and attending interview debriefs), as needed.
What We’re Looking For:
- You have 8+ years of experience working on consumer web-based applications with modern development frameworks and platform technologies.
- You are knowledgeable about engineering fundamentals and architecture, including working with Git, CI/CD practices, restful APIs, distributed systems, SQL and cloud services (AWS preferably)
- You have experience with Docker and containerization
- You are self-directed, requiring minimal supervision with the ability to think holistically around engineering challenges
- You are an adaptable person with an empathetic, collaborative and positive mindset
- You have excellent written and verbal communication skills, technical and otherwise
- You have experience designing and implementing app architectures and code that is both scalable, and performant.
- You have experience with modern tooling for instrumentation, monitoring, metrics and performance and cost analysis - Examples might include Data Dog, New Relic, Heap, AWS CloudHealth and so on.
- Travel: Periodic travel within the US may be required, such as travel to meet teammates in LA
- Authorization to work in the U.S.
Things that are not important to us:
- Whether or not you have a Computer Science or Engineering degree.
- Whether or not you have a portfolio of Github contributions—It's great if you do, but we don't expect it!
- Whether or not you have worked at a well-recognized company. Talent comes from all corners and situations.
What We Offer:
- Competitive compensation plan
- Innovative, high growth and collaborative culture
- Flexible PTO package
- Fun monthly team events
- Great Benefits including: Medical, dental, vision, 401k and more
Sketchy Group LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All applicants will receive consideration without discrimination on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, age, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, disability or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.