Content Developer - Clinical
Sketchy is a visual learning platform for students & professionals to effortlessly learn and recall information through art, storytelling, and spaced repetition. The company was born when four medical students began creating sketched stories to distinguish and memorize similarly named viruses, and they realized that the same learning methodologies could be used across a variety of subjects.
Since its inception in 2013, Sketchy has become the premiere learning destination for medical students around the world. It’s used by 1 in 2 medical students in the United States, has an alumni base of over 300,000 students, and helps students answer questions 77% faster than conventional teaching.
Sketchy is a TCG (The Chernin Group) portfolio company (joining other companies such as Headspace, Food52, Barstool Sports, and Crunchyroll) and a Reach Capital portfolio company (joining other start-up companies that bring a playfulness to learning).
About the Role:
We are looking for dynamic, creative clinical educators to help us improve and expand our clinical education product, which helps medical students succeed on their rotations, their shelf exams, and the USMLE Step 2. Sketchy has helped over 100,000 med students become doctors with courses like SketchyMicro, SketchyPharm, SketchyIM, and Sketchy Ob/Gyn; our team works to continuously improve these courses and build new content to help medical students achieve their goals.
For this Content Developer role, deep experience as a clinician educator is preferred, but what we want most of all is someone who is ready to push for excellent, genuinely innovative resources and perspectives on medical school content. What makes Sketchy’s approach unique is the “writer’s room” attitude we bring to content creation. We synthesize good teaching, deep content expertise, talented artists and video staff, and our own personality and sense of humor—ultimately creating a product that is fun and unforgettable. Expect to bring some of those creative ideas and some past work product, if applicable, to the interview process.
We are hiring in both full-time and part-time capacities for this team. If you have a preference for one or the other, please indicate this in your application. Here at Sketchy, we value the clinical expertise that our Content Developers bring to the table, and are happy to partner with our clinicians who wish to balance clinical practice with impactful work beyond the clinical setting.
Note: While you will always have a seat to work from at our Los Angeles Headquarters, our transition to a remote-first company will allow you to work from the location of your choice in select states across the country. As travel and working conditions return back to “normal”, we will find opportunities to increasingly meet and collaborate in person.
Location: This role is open to remote employees in select US states: California, Colorado, Hawaii, Illinois, Massachusetts, New York, Pennsylvania, Texas, Washington, and Washington, D.C.
- Make strategic design & structural decisions about Sketchy’s clinical lessons, using inputs from subject-matter experts, textbooks, academic publications, test blueprints, and other peer-reviewed validated sources
- Learn and execute the steps of content creation, including curriculum outlining, scripting, pre-sketching, storyboarding, and authoring & editing of self-assessment practice items
- Exert strong general ownership over the instructional experience of Sketchy products built in your area(s) of expertise
- Ensure accuracy of instructional & assessment materials
- Collaborate with other teams, such as art, technology, video production, and external subject-matter experts and professors to drive assets and products to completion
- Advocate for student needs, based on customer knowledge gained through personal experience and/or user research
- Adjust and update content over time in response to metrics and user feedback
- 2-3 years experience in teaching or education, interacting directly with learners and/or creating instructional materials or curricula
- Medical or health science degree required, MD/DO/MBBS preferred
- Proven expertise and/or experience in at least one of the following subject-matter areas:
- Internal Medicine
- Family Medicine
- Emergency Medicine
- Flexibility between multiple subject areas is preferred
- Experience in test prep (e.g., shelf exams, USMLE Step 2) and test-taking strategies preferred, but not strictly necessary
- Experience in creative content production (e.g. digital platforms, e-learning, instructional design) preferred
- Ability to learn new techniques, skills, and tools on the job
- Strong communication skills and comfort with collaboration in a remote-workforce environment
- Eager attitude for working with cool people to make awesome new things
What We Offer:
- Competitive compensation plan
- Innovative, high growth, and collaborative culture
- Flexible PTO package
- Fun team events (Monthly and virtual for now)
- Great Benefits including Medical, dental, vision, 401k, and more
Sketchy Group LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All applicants will receive consideration without discrimination on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, age, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, disability, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.