Medical Question Writer - Preclinical (Contractor)
Sketchy is a visual learning platform for students & professionals to effortlessly learn and recall information through art, storytelling and spaced repetition. The company was born when four medical students began creating sketched stories to distinguish and memorize similarly named viruses, and they realized that the same learning methodologies could be used across a variety of subjects.
Since its inception in 2013, Sketchy has become the premiere learning destination for medical students around the world. It’s used by 1 in 2 medical students in the United States, has an alumni base of over 300,000 students and helps students answer questions 77% faster than conventional teaching.
Sketchy is a TCG (The Chernin Group) portfolio company (joining other companies such as Headspace, Food52, Barstool Sports and Crunchyroll) and a Reach Capital portfolio company (joining other start-up companies that bring a playfulness to learning).
We are looking for dynamic, creative science educators to help us expand our pool of technology-enhanced, interactive assessment items. As an Assessment Item Writer, you’ll work as part of our Medical Content Team, producing high-quality question items to accompany our basic science preclinical courses and enhance the learning experience for medical students. This independent contractor role provides a unique opportunity to join a team of passionate and dedicated content creators and make a positive impact on the education of future healthcare providers.
You enjoy problem solving and the sheer satisfaction that comes with figuring out a difficult puzzle of all types and varieties. “Learning for the sake of learning” is one of your life’s mottos as you constantly push yourself to expand and improve your knowledge, skills, and abilities. You are delighted to share your knowledge with others and help them achieve that “lightbulb moment” when a complicated and difficult concept has finally “clicked.”
- Write original multiple choice format assessment items with comprehensive explanations for SketchyMedical’s Pre-Clinical Quiz item pool
- Review and update content with attention to style, accuracy, clarity, consistency, educational value, and overall adherence to principles of good question item construction
- Revise written items based on feedback received from our editors and subject matter experts
- Write, self-edit, and submit for review a minimum of five (5) high-quality assessment items per week
- Advanced degree in pre-clinical biological/biomedical sciences (or closely related). M.D., D.O., or Ph.D. preferred
- 1+ years experience in clinical medicine with direct patient care responsibilities
- 1+ years experience in tutoring or teaching pre-clinical basic sciences
- 1+ years experience in academic writing and/or educational research in the biological/biomedical sciences or pre-clinical basic sciences
- 1+ years experience in writing biological/biomedical sciences assessment items at college level or higher
- High performance on the USMLE® Step examinations preferred
- Strong knowledge in the basic sciences preclinical curriculum including anatomy, physiology, biochemistry, microbiology, pharmacology, and/or pathology
- Ability to teach complex basic science medical concepts to different audiences
- Exceptional writing, editorial, and research skills
- Superior interpersonal and communication skills
- Must demonstrate acute attention to detail and effective problem-solving skills
- Excellent organizational and planning skills, with the ability to produce high-quality work on tight deadlines
- Ability to learn new techniques, skills, and tools on the job
- Ability to work remotely in a collaborative team environment, while maintaining communication and a steady workflow
- Ability to receive and respond positively to feedback
- Must work well independently and be able to adapt to unexpected shifts in priorities
If interested, please send us your resume and a cover letter to tell us why you’re the right fit for us and vice versa. Please indicate in your application or cover letter your USMLE® Step Examination scores. We look forward to meeting you!
SketchyGroup LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All applicants will receive consideration without discrimination on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, age, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, disability or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.