Subject Matter Expert - Neurology (Contractor)
Sketchy is a visual learning platform for students & professionals to effortlessly learn and recall information through art, storytelling and spaced repetition. The company was born when four medical students began creating sketched stories to distinguish and memorize similarly named viruses, and they realized that the same learning methodologies could be used across a variety of subjects.
Since its inception in 2013, Sketchy has become the premiere learning destination for medical students around the world. It’s used by 1 in 2 medical students in the United States, has an alumni base of over 300,000 students and helps students answer questions 77% faster than conventional teaching.
Sketchy is a TCG (The Chernin Group) portfolio company (joining other companies such as Headspace, Food52, Barstool Sports and Crunchyroll) and a Reach Capital portfolio company (joining other start-up companies that bring a playfulness to learning).
About the Role
Sketchy creates high-quality, appealing video lessons (and related assets, such as practice questions) that delight students with new ways to learn and recall information. In order to do this, we need excellent subject matter experts who can point our curricula in the right direction and ensure its alignment throughout production. That’s the primary responsibility of people in this subject matter expert role: to keep us on track with what experts in the field know to be true and important, and to deliver documentation and recommendations to that effect.
One course we’re building right now is Neurology (“SketchyNeuro”), which will help third- and fourth-year medical students succeed on their neurology rotations, shelf exams, and the USMLE Step 2. If you’re an expert on the subject and this sounds like something you can help us build, we’d love to hear from you. This work will be done on a contract basis and will vary in volume, but ideal candidates should have at least a 10-hour per week availability. The screening process will include at least two brief interviews and a work sample.
- Write lesson outlines and learning objectives for specified clinical topics in neurology, using gold standard textbooks and peer reviewed literature
- Outline and write educational text to guide lesson creation
- Review educational scripts and sketches for scientific accuracy and clarity
- Compose and review carefully constructed quiz questions to accompany Sketchy lessons
- Edit, review, and consult on other content (in your area of expertise) as needed
- 3+ years experience in teaching or education, interacting directly with learners and/or creating instructional materials or curricula
- MD/DO/MBBS or equivalent degree required
- Proven expertise in neurology or in an alternative specialty (such as neurosurgery, psychiatry, family medicine, or internal medicine) with a specific interest in neurological disease
- Experience in test prep (e.g., USMLE) and test-taking strategies preferred
- Experience in creative content production (e.g. digital platforms, e-learning, instructional design) preferred
- Excellent communication and time management skills
- Comfort with online collaboration formats (e.g. Google Suite, Zoom)
- Ability to learn new techniques, skills, and tools on the job
- Comfort with collaboration in a remote-workforce environment
- Eager attitude for working with cool people to make awesome new things
Sketchy Group LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All applicants will receive consideration without discrimination on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, age, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, disability or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.