Science Writer (Contractor)
Sketchy is a revolutionary visual learning platform. We turn complex subjects into engaging visual stories that you’ll remember forever. Through a combination of art, science, and technology, our lessons help students effortlessly learn and recall information and score higher on exams.
Sketchy is used by students at every medical school in America.
90% of Sketchy medical students report higher test scores.
94% of users say studying with Sketchy saves time.
78% of users say Sketchy improves their recall speed.
300,000 students are now doctors thanks to Sketchy.
Sketchy was founded in 2013 when four medical students began creating sketched stories to help them memorize complicated viruses. Since then, Sketchy has applied the same visual learning techniques to a variety of subjects, and become a premier learning destination for students around the world.
Sketchy is a TCG (The Chernin Group) portfolio company (alongside notable brands like Headspace, Food52, Barstool Sports, and Crunchyroll) and a Reach Capital portfolio company (joining other start-ups that bring a playfulness to learning).
About the Role
We are looking for dynamic, creative science writers to help us improve and expand our medical and pre-medical courses. The ideal candidate has a proven track record in science or medical copywriting, journalism, or educational content, along with a creative and humorous streak and an eagerness to collaborate with other like-minded creatives.
What makes Sketchy’s approach unique is the “writer’s room” attitude we bring to content creation. We synthesize good teaching, deep content expertise, talented artists and video staff, and our own personality and sense of humor—ultimately creating a product that is fun and unforgettable. Expect to bring some of those creative ideas and some past work product, if applicable, to the interview process.
- Translate lesson outlines and initial drafts of scripts into final video scripts, ready for recording
- Communicate complex concepts clearly and concisely—you need to be able to quickly identify what is important and what is not, and teach the material confidently to non-expert audiences
- Review and edit the scripts of others
- 2-3+ years experience writing in a science context, preferably journalism, education, or science copywriting
- Science or writing degree (or equivalent experience) required
- Credentials in both science and writing preferred
- Proven expertise in one or more pre-medical sciences
- Preferred subjects include: biochemistry, biology, general chemistry, organic chemistry, physics, psychology, and sociology
- Training or experience in multiple subjects preferred
- Experience writing quiz questions or other assessments preferred, but not strictly necessary
- Ability to learn new techniques, skills, and tools on the job
- Comfortable with collaborating and receiving feedback
- Eager attitude for working with cool people to make new things
Sketchy Group LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All applicants will receive consideration without discrimination on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, age, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, disability or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.