Science Writer (Contractor)
Sketchy is a visual learning platform for students & professionals to effortlessly learn and recall information through art, storytelling and spaced repetition. The company was born when four medical students began creating sketched stories to distinguish and memorize similarly named viruses, and they realized that the same learning methodologies could be used across a variety of subjects.
Since its inception in 2013, Sketchy has become the premiere learning destination for medical students around the world. It’s used by 1 in 2 medical students in the United States, has an alumni base of over 300,000 students and helps students answer questions 77% faster than conventional teaching.
Sketchy is a TCG (The Chernin Group) portfolio company (joining other companies such as Headspace, Food52, Barstool Sports and Crunchyroll) and a Reach Capital portfolio company (joining other start-up companies that bring a playfulness to learning).
About the Role
We are looking for dynamic, creative science writers to help us improve and expand our medical and pre-medical courses. The ideal candidate has a proven track record in science or medical copywriting, journalism, or educational content, along with a creative and humorous streak and an eagerness to collaborate with other like-minded creatives.
What makes Sketchy’s approach unique is the “writer’s room” attitude we bring to content creation. We synthesize good teaching, deep content expertise, talented artists and video staff, and our own personality and sense of humor—ultimately creating a product that is fun and unforgettable. Expect to bring some of those creative ideas and some past work product, if applicable, to the interview process.
- Translate lesson outlines and initial drafts of scripts into final video scripts, ready for recording
- Communicate complex concepts clearly and concisely—you need to be able to quickly identify what is important and what is not, and teach the material confidently to non-expert audiences
- Review and edit the scripts of others
- 2-3+ years experience writing in a science context, preferably journalism, education, or science copywriting
- Science or writing degree (or equivalent experience) required
- Credentials in both science and writing preferred
- Proven expertise in one or more pre-medical sciences
- Preferred subjects include: biochemistry, biology, general chemistry, organic chemistry, physics, psychology, and sociology
- Training or experience in multiple subjects preferred
- Experience writing quiz questions or other assessments preferred, but not strictly necessary
- Ability to learn new techniques, skills, and tools on the job
- Comfortable with collaborating and receiving feedback
- Eager attitude for working with cool people to make new things
Sketchy Group LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All applicants will receive consideration without discrimination on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, age, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, disability or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.