Head of Product Design
Sketchy is a visual learning platform for students & professionals to effortlessly learn and recall information through art, storytelling, and spaced repetition. The company was born when four medical students began creating sketched stories to distinguish and memorize similarly named viruses, and they realized that the same learning methodologies could be used across a variety of subjects.
Since its inception in 2013, Sketchy has become the premier learning destination for medical students around the world. It’s used by 1 in 2 medical students in the United States, has an alumni base of over 300,000 students, and helps students answer questions 77% faster than conventional teaching.
Sketchy is a TCG (The Chernin Group) portfolio company (joining other companies such as Headspace, Food52, Barstool Sports, and Crunchyroll) and a Reach Capital portfolio company (joining other start-up companies that bring a playfulness to learning).
About the role
Sketchy is seeking a Head of Product Design to help us continue our history of innovation and expand on our platform so more students can learn with Sketchy. As the first product designer (and design leader) at the company, you will report directly to the Chief Product Officer, and will be a key member of the product team in a small, high-growth environment. You’ll play a pivotal role in transforming our current product as you define our design to shape our future product direction.
You’ll initially act as a key individual contributor working alongside your teammates across the company, but we will rapidly work together to scope out and grow the design team together.
Working at Sketchy
We are headquartered in Los Angeles, but have teammates that collaborate remotely from cities across the United States. As travel and working conditions return back to “normal”, we will find opportunities to increasingly meet and collaborate in person. While you will always have a seat to work from at our Los Angeles HQ, our transition to a remote-first company will allow you to work from the location of your choice in select states across the country.
Location: This role is open to remote employees in select US states: California, Colorado, Hawaii, Illinois, Massachusetts, New York, Pennsylvania, Texas, Washington, and Washington, D.C.
- You will define Sketchy’s high-level user experience, journeys and design guidelines
- You will lead user research in partnership with product managers and marketing to deeply understand our students’ problems and motivations to help develop our product strategy
- You will explore product ideas through prototyping before executing on them, and willing to throw ideas away if they don’t meet our bar or our goals
- You will translate and transform qualitative and quantitative insights into user experience flows, and partner with engineering to create implementation-ready designs
- You will create the foundation of Sketchy’s design culture to enable our product to serve the needs of our students, your cross-functional partners and growth of the business
- You will help us grow a world-class design team by identifying, recruiting and helping to hire design talent to join our Sketchy mission
- 8+ years of of working as a designer in consumer software, digital learning or interactive gaming companies
- Experience working in early-stage startups (Seed, Series A)
- While you may specialize in certain aspects of design, you love wearing many hats, and dive into everything from UX flows and wireframing to detailed visual design.
- Track record of demonstrating great judgement of when to ship: “Perfect is the enemy of good”
- Led efforts to define initial designs going from “zero to one”, including design patterns, style guides and UI libraries that were leveraged by engineering, product and other designers
What We Offer:
- Competitive compensation plan
- Innovative, high growth and collaborative culture
- Flexible PTO package
- Fun team events (Monthly and virtual for now)
- Great Benefits including: Medical, dental, vision, 401k and more
Sketchy Group LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All applicants will receive consideration without discrimination on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, age, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, disability, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.