Head of Content Operations
Sketchy is a visual learning platform for students & professionals to effortlessly learn and recall information through art and storytelling. The company was born when three medical students began creating sketched stories to distinguish and memorize similarly named viruses, and they realized that the same learning methodologies could be used across a variety of subjects.
Since its inception in 2013, Sketchy has become the premiere learning destination for medical students around the world. It’s used by 1 in 2 medical students in the United States, has an alumni base of over 300,000 students and helps students answer questions 77% faster than conventional teaching. This year, Sketchy has moved beyond medical school with its entrance into the Pharmacy, Physician Assistant and premedical markets.
Sketchy is a TCG (The Chernin Group) portfolio company (joining other companies such as Headspace, Food52, Barstool Sports and Crunchyroll) and a Reach Capital portfolio company (joining other start-up companies that bring a playfulness to learning).
About the Role
Sketchy is seeking a Head of Content Operations to join our Content team as we build the next generation of digital learning. Reporting to the Chief Content Officer, you will lead a team to scale our infrastructure that supports content creation from pre-production, production, post-production to release -- as we broaden our reach to new students. In this role you will be responsible for executing on our content vision as you set operational targets for the studio, develop the content roadmap, optimize production workflows, establish scalable processes, and identify strategic partnerships.
Working at Sketchy:
We are headquartered in Los Angeles but have teammates that collaborate remotely from cities across the United States. As travel and working conditions return back to “normal”, we will find opportunities to increasingly meet and collaborate in person. While you will always have a seat to work from at our Los Angeles HQ, our transition to a remote-first company will allow you to work from the location of your choice in select states across the country.
Location: This role is open to remote employees in select US states: California, Colorado, Hawaii, Illinois, Massachusetts, New York, Pennsylvania, Texas, Washington, and Washington, D.C.
- Partner with functional leaders (Content, Finance, Marketing, Business Development, Product & Engineering) and the executive team to develop and execute on our content strategy
- Oversee the production and post-production operations to ensure high-quality content is delivered to students on a recurring schedule and within budget
- Develop and publish KPIs that track quality, delivery, efficiency and financial performance
- Work with executive team in budgeting and planning content roadmap.
- Make strategic decisions and recommendations about quality, output, budget, and timeline goals, and the tradeoffs between them
- Identify opportunities for external partnerships and foster relationships with existing partners
- Lead process improvement by auditing, revising and optimizing existing protocols, workflows, and guidelines
- Collaborate with our HR team to optimize hiring, onboarding and training processes
- Lead the development and adoption of internal content tools (e.g. a Content Management System or Digital Asset Management system)
- Implement department-wide training of third party tools (e.g., Jira, database software, spreadsheets & other trackers) to facilitate smooth content delivery and clear and accurate reporting of content creation within the production pipeline
- Own cross-team communication on content production pipeline
- 5+ years’ experience working in a content production or operations role and three years experience in a management or leadership capacity
- A master’s degree in business administration or a related field is highly valued
- Professional certifications in personnel management, operations management, data analysis or supply chain management may be useful
- In-depth knowledge of project management, resourcing and creative software (e.g. Adobe CC, Airtabe, Jira, Slack)
- Demonstrated success innovating solutions to optimize productivity and profitability
- Extremely process-oriented and able to continuously identify opportunities for process improvements to become increasingly efficient and cost-effective
- Excellent communicator, both oral and written
- Ability to learn new techniques, skills, and tools on the job
- Comfort and mastery with collaboration in a remote-workforce environment
- Eager attitude for working with cool people to make awesome new things
- BA or similar degree in a relevant field
What We Offer:
- Great compensation plan
- Creative, high growth and collaborative culture
- PTO package with floating holiday
- Fun team events (Monthly and virtual for now)
- Great Benefits including: Medical, dental, vision, 401k and more
Sketchy Group LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All applicants will receive consideration without discrimination on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, age, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, disability or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.