Art Director, Content & Curriculum
Sketchy is an online visual learning platform that helps students effortlessly learn and recall information through a blend of art, story, spaced repetition and memory palace techniques. Sketchy was born when four medical students began creating sketched stories to distinguish and memorize similarly named viruses, as they realized that the same learning methodologies can be used across a variety of subjects.
Since its inception in 2013, Sketchy has become the premiere learning destination for Medical School students around the world, currently serving over 30,000 active users (or a third of the total 89,000 medical students in the United States) and an alumni base of 100,000+ students. Sketchy is creating the most engaging and effective educational service for students of higher education everywhere by combining visual storytelling with interactive learning tools that together dramatically enhance recall and knowledge acquisition.
Sketchy is a TCG (The Chernin Group) portfolio company (joining other companies such as Headspace, Surfline Food52 and Crunchyroll) and a Reach Capital portfolio company (joining other start-up companies that bring a playfulness to learning.)
We are looking for an Art Director to join a team building the next generation of digital learning. We are seeking a motivated leader who will spearhead development of new engaging content for clinical studies. This role provides a unique opportunity to join a team of passionate and dedicated content creators and make a positive impact on the education of future healthcare providers.
Location: This role is open to remote employees in select US states: Texas, California, New York, Hawaii, Illinois, Colorado, Massachusetts, Washington and Washington, D.C.
- Reporting to our Creative Director, shepherding the development of sketches from initial storyboarding till final art production
- Participate in creative ideation meetings to effectuate sketch layout, setting, characters, and symbols
- Develop and refine style, while ensuring continual production of high-quality and engaging artwork
- Recruit and manage artists to scale our illustration capabilities
- Collaborate with outside firms and consultants to meet deadlines and ensure quality standards are met
- Work with Content Directors during course planning to determine the overall creative environment and theme for each course, ensuring execution on vision by assistant creative directors
- Develop style guidelines to promote all content created in alignment with the Sketchy brand in creativity and inclusivity
- Champion passion for higher education and brand excellence
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in artistic development and digital art
- Strong interpersonal, creative thinking, problem solving, organizational, decision-making, and art direction skills
- An understanding of visual learning methodologies and an ability to apply them to a wide range of topics
- Experience delivering creative media projects from conception to completion with attention to detail
- Enjoy working in a fast-paced and ever-changing environment
- Passionate about learning and making a positive impact on the world
- Science background preferred
- Adobe Creative Cloud
- After Effects
- Autodesk, Maya or other 3D software
- Experience with software development pipeline (including Jira and Agile preferred)
- BA / BFA degree or equivalent work experience
What We Offer:
- Competitive compensation plan
- Innovative, high growth and collaborative culture
- Generous PTO package with floating holidays
- Fun team events (Monthly and virtual for now)
- Great Benefits including: Medical, dental, vision, 401k and more
SketchyGroup LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All applicants will receive consideration without discrimination on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, age, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, disability or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.