Software Engineer - Backend (Remote)
Sketchy is an online visual learning platform that helps students effortlessly learn and recall information through a blend of art, story, spaced repetition and memory palace techniques. Sketchy was born when four medical students began creating sketched stories to distinguish and memorize similarly named viruses, as they realized that the same learning methodologies can be used across a variety of subjects.
Since its inception in 2013, Sketchy has become the premiere learning destination for Medical School students around the world, currently serving over 30,000 active users (or a third of the total 89,000 medical students in the United States) and an alumni base of 100,000+ students. Sketchy is creating the most engaging and effective educational service for students of higher education everywhere by combining visual storytelling with interactive learning tools that together dramatically enhance recall and knowledge acquisition.
Sketchy is a TCG (The Chernin Group) portfolio company (joining other companies such as Headspace, Surfline Food52 and Crunchyroll) and a Reach Capital portfolio company (joining other start-up companies that bring a playfulness to learning.)
We are looking for a Software Engineer - Backend to join a team building the next generation of a growing education technology platform. We are looking for Backend Engineers to join us in building and supporting all features, design and implement API’s and services that power up our product and support our rapidly growing user base.
Location: This role is open to remote employees in select US states: Texas, California, New York, Hawaii, Illinois, Colorado, Massachusetts, Washington and Washington, D.C.
- Democratize data-oriented design
- Design and develop software to help operate our internal and external applications
- Design and develop software for shared and common services like load balancers, microservices, logging & metrics pipelines, etc
- Provide and document reliable solutions within application development, deployment, and monitoring
- Write code in Ruby, Java, or Python
- Participate and conduct code reviews for team members
- 3+ years in engineering using an Object-Oriented Programming like Ruby, Java, Python
- Experience in writing API contracts, documentation, or blueprints
- Experience in Cloud development environment such as Heroku, AWS, GCP
- Experience in full life-cycle agile software development
- Experience with test driven development and test automation
- 3+ years working with one or more modern frameworks such as Rails, Spring
- Strong understanding of SQL and other associated databases, and Agile frameworks, is a plus
- Authorization to work in the U.S.
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science (or Equivalent Experience) with a strong grasp of CS fundamentals
What We Offer:
- Competitive compensation plan
- Innovative, high growth and collaborative culture
- Generous PTO package with floating holiday
- Fun team events (Monthly and virtual for now)
- Great Benefits including: Medical, dental, vision, 401k and more
SketchyGroup LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All applicants will receive consideration without discrimination on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, age, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, disability or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.