Subject Matter Expert - Undergrad Sciences / MCAT (Remote, Contract)
Sketchy is an online visual learning platform that helps students effortlessly learn and recall information through a blend of art, story, spaced repetition and memory palace techniques. Sketchy was born when four medical students began creating sketched stories to distinguish and memorize similarly named viruses, as they realized that the same learning methodologies can be used across a variety of subjects.
Since its inception in 2013, Sketchy has become the premiere learning destination for Medical School students around the world, currently serving over 30,000 active users (or a third of the total 89,000 medical students in the United States) and an alumni base of 100,000+ students. Sketchy is creating the most engaging and effective educational service for students of higher education everywhere by combining visual storytelling with interactive learning tools that together dramatically enhance recall and knowledge acquisition.
Sketchy is a TCG (The Chernin Group) portfolio company (joining other companies such as Headspace, Surfline Food52 and Crunchyroll) and a Reach Capital portfolio company (joining other start-up companies that bring a playfulness to learning)
The Job: Subject Matter Expert - Undergrad Sciences/MCAT - (Remote, Contract)
Location: Remote |California | Hawaii | Illinois | New York | Colorado | Massachusetts | Washington
SketchyMedical (www.sketchy.com) is looking for dynamic, creative science educators to help us build the next generation of Sketchy products for our largest audience yet. We are currently hiring experts in the areas of undergraduate-level biology, chemistry, organic chemistry, physics, and behavioral sciences (psychology & sociology). We are also looking for experts in MCAT Prep and how it relates to these sciences. Please indicate in your application or cover letter which of those subjects are your area(s) of expertise.
Sketchy creates high-quality, appealing video lessons (and related assets, such as practice questions) that delight students with new ways to learn and recall information. In order to do this, we need excellent subject-matter experts who can point our curricula in the right direction and ensure its alignment throughout production. That’s the primary responsibility of people in this subject-matter expert role: to keep us on track with what experts in the field know to be true and important, and to deliver documentation and recommendations to that effect.
This work will be done on a contract basis and will vary in volume, but ideal candidates should have at least a 10-hour per week availability. The screening process will include at least two brief interviews and a work sample of academic writing.
What you will do:
- Establish the curriculum of Sketchy undergrad products, including which topics to cover and their priority, order, and emphasis
- Determine the learning objectives for pre-medical and/or test prep courses
- Outline and write educational text to guide lesson creation
- Review educational scripts and sketches for scientific accuracy and clarity
- Edit, review, and consult on other content (in your area(s) of expertise) as needed
What you bring to the role:
- 3+ years experience in teaching or education, interacting directly with learners and/or creating instructional materials or curricula
- Degree or equivalent experience in at least one of the following subject-matter areas:
- Organic chemistry
- Behavioral sciences (psychology & sociology)
- Training or experience in multiple subjects preferred
- Experience in test prep (e.g., MCAT) and test-taking strategies preferred, but not strictly necessary
- Experience in creative content production (e.g. digital platforms, e-learning, instructional design) preferred
- Ability to learn new techniques, skills, and tools on the job
- Comfort with collaboration in a remote-workforce environment
- Eager attitude for working with cool people to make awesome new things
SketchyGroup LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. SketchyGroup LLC encourages women and minorities to apply and does not and will not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, age, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, disability or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.