Content Developer - Undergrad Sciences / MCAT (Remote)
Sketchy is an online visual learning platform that helps students effortlessly learn and recall information through a blend of art, story, spaced repetition and memory palace techniques. Sketchy was born when four medical students began creating sketched stories to distinguish and memorize similarly named viruses, as they realized that the same learning methodologies can be used across a variety of subjects.
Since its inception in 2013, Sketchy has become the premiere learning destination for Medical School students around the world, currently serving over 30,000 active users (or a third of the total 89,000 medical students in the United States) and an alumni base of 100,000+ students. Sketchy is creating the most engaging and effective educational service for students of higher education everywhere by combining visual storytelling with interactive learning tools that together dramatically enhance recall and knowledge acquisition.
Sketchy is a TCG (The Chernin Group) portfolio company (joining other companies such as Headspace, Surfline Food52 and Crunchyroll) and a Reach Capital portfolio company (joining other start-up companies that bring a playfulness to learning.)
SketchyMedical (www.sketchy.com) is looking for dynamic, creative science educators to help us build the next generation of Sketchy products for our largest audience yet. We are currently hiring experts in the areas of undergraduate-level biology, chemistry, organic chemistry, physics, and behavioral sciences (psychology & sociology). Please indicate in your application or cover letter which of those subjects are your area(s) of expertise.
Accreditation and deep experience in the education field (including experience with e-learning tools) is preferred, but what we want most of all is someone who is ready to push for excellent, genuinely innovative resources and perspectives on this material. What makes Sketchy’s approach unique is the “writer’s room” attitude we bring to content creation. We synthesize good teaching, deep content expertise, talented artists and video staff, and our own personality and sense of humor—ultimately creating a product that is fun and unforgettable. This Content Developer role is one of the members of this Sketchy “writer’s room”, so expect to bring some of those creative ideas and some past work product, if applicable, to the interview process.
We are looking to fill both full-time and part-time roles covering the below responsibilities, so please apply if you have interest in either.
Location: Remote |California | Hawaii | Illinois | New York | Colorado | Massachusetts | Washington
- Make strategic design & structural decisions about Sketchy’s premedical and MCAT products, using inputs from academic publications, test blueprints, and other subject-matter experts
- Learn and execute the steps of content creation, including curriculum outlining, scripting, pre-sketching, storyboarding, and authoring & editing of practice items
- Exert strong general ownership over the instructional experience of Sketchy products built in your area(s) of expertise
- Ensure accuracy of instructional & assessment materials
- Collaborate with other teams, such as art, technology, video production, and external subject-matter experts and professors to drive assets and products to completion
- Advocate for student needs, based on customer knowledge gained through personal experience and/or user research
- Adjust content over time in response to metrics and user feedback
- Ad-hoc projects
- 2+ years experience in teaching or education, interacting directly with learners and/or creating instructional materials or curriculum
- Training or experience in multiple subjects preferred
- Experience in test prep (e.g., MCAT) and test-taking strategies preferred, but not strictly necessary
- Experience in creative content production (e.g. digital platforms, e-learning, instructional design) preferred
- Ability to learn new techniques, skills, and tools on the job
- Comfort with collaboration in a remote-workforce environment
- Eager attitude for working with cool people to make awesome new things
Degree or equivalent experience in at least one of the following subject-matter areas:
-Behavioral sciences (psychology & sociology)
What We Offer:
- Competitive compensation plan
- Innovative, high growth and collaborative culture
- Generous PTO package with floating holidays
- Fun team events (Monthly and virtual for now)
- Great Benefits including: Medical, dental, vision, 401k and more
SketchyGroup LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All applicants will receive consideration without discrimination on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, age, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, disability or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.